Monday, January 11, 2010

Blast


I had a very strange work dream. It's weird because I've had similar dreams to this, but only today was there a slight real-world connection. Blast.

Already running late for work, I had to hurry to the high school. Those kids just HATE it when I'm late. So somehow a motorcycle seems the fastest way to get there, so I am suddenly driving one of those to the school...except I can't sit on the seat, I'm sitting in a shopping cart as I hold the handles of the motorcycle...to say the least it was very difficult to keep it together. Maybe that's telling of my life right there... Anyway, I pull up to the school and realize I won't be able to get any kids home, obviously, and I go into the office to make a confused call back to the bus compound to tell my boss I need to come back for a bus. The lady at the secretary desk was a complete waste of twenty minutes. I just wanted to use the phone she had at her desk that would actually transfer over to the transportation office with four short punches to the phone pad, but nooooo, she couldn't use that. It would have been fortunate because the four digit number was posted near by and for the subconscious life of me I could not remember the last four numbers of the office number. SO, we had to use every other non-useful way imaginable. Ultimately she handed me a brand new cell phone, not even unwrapped, and said, "Here, just have this." I was so ticked that I just tossed it back at her and rushed out. I could have walked to the bus compound in far less time than it took to try to make that phone call. I passed all my waiting kids as I got back to my motorcycle-shopping cart duo-mobile (it had an unattached couch cushion for a more comfortable seat...) and the kids were like, "No way, where's the bus!" I completely ignored them -- I often do...is that bad? I'm not there to make any friends... -- and rode away ridiculously, around the block to the compound. My boss had called in a sub driver and this young guy in a beanie was in the driver's seat, ready to pull away. I said, "I'm here though! I was at the school, trying to call you but I just could NOT get a hold of you..." My boss must have sensed an insincerity I more or less felt about the ordeal, and she said something like, "They would have been empty words." Referring to whatever I would have said on the phone had I managed to call, and continued, "I called in a sub." I looked at the sub, frustrated and then suddenly softened. "Do you just wanna take this route until Wednesday? Just take it." He said, "sure." Great. I was leaving anyway. He drove away and I left, bugged.

You know how in the winter it's really dark at 6:50 AM? Well, as I pulled out of my parking slot this morning, I checked my mirrors on my right because there was still a bus there and I didn't want to hit it. I examined closely, even squinting to be sure (it was so dark!) and I thought 'I'm clear' and pulled forward confidently and it took a minute to realize the screeching metal sound was actually my bus smearing bus 19's mirrors down the side of my bus. Nothing occurred in my mind at the moment as to how to solve it otherwise, so I just kept pulling forward until I was clear. I reported to the mechanics (passing and informing bus 19's driver on the way...) and they set out to solve the problem. I was super frustrated at the mistake for a couple teary moments but I had to get it together and keep driving....Accidents are lame. Blast...

But one cool thing was that it was SUPER foggy this morning. I love fog.

No comments: