Wednesday, January 6, 2010

vive la France


I dreamed I made it back to France. It was a very quick trip somehow and as I walked an unknown street to some unknown place there was this guy that gave me a knowing smile. I kinda smiled back but kept walking (French men...) to the place. In a minute that guy was back, at my side, walking my same way and suddenly I realized he'd stolen my second watch. I had one on my wrist but my second one was in his hand. So he was back now to tease me about the time it read. It was set to Utah time so that I could remember the time there. So I said to him, "Well, so where do you guess I'm from?" He thought a moment, as we walked into a government building, and said, "Payson, Utah." I stopped and said, "Wow, tres proche." which means "wow, very close." but then we were distracted by it being my turn to hand some official papers to an official lady behind an official desk. She looked at them and said, it all looks good. But this guy next to me he said, "Wait, what about this?" He pointed to a paper that had a large $178 at the bottom and she said, "Ah oui, je dois refaire ça." which meant "Oh yes i have to redo/renew this." I suddenly realized that I had gone on a trip to France with absolutely no money to my name. But, the lady didn't know and wouldn't care even if she had known, she swiped the card I regretfully gave her to pay this $178 legal fee so that I could stay in France.

When I left that place I headed back to my apartment. That was strange. I entered a building, with the watch thief still in tow, and when I got into my apartment, it was pretty much exactly like my current one, with less furniture though. My room was exactly as it is, with most of the stuff moved out of it. It was then I realized I had forgotten my passport. The companion of my thus far expensive travels had turned from unknown man to well-known friend, Aurore Mathieu. I suppose I had returned to France with her (she's here in the Provo mission right now) and she was assuring me that I'd be okay without it. Huh. I had that sinking feeling that too many things were going wrong, and how would I be paying for anything for my three week stay? Bad planning, Em.

I sat down to log into facebook on my computer and change my status from "discovering Skype" (which was what I had changed it to before I fell asleep last night because my friend Carrie was teaching me stuff about it) to "est en France. et oui!" And I sat and wondered what i would do for three weeks. The end.

Now I want to go to France. Really badly. Except with some money. Bread and cheeeeeeeeeeeeese.

No comments: